How Parents Can Request a Consular Report of Birth Aboard for Children

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) certifies American citizenship for a child born outside the US, typically under 18 years old, and is similar to a US passport, Certificate of Naturalization, or Certificate of Citizenship.


𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒆𝒅𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 π‘«π’π’„π’–π’Žπ’†π’π’•π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒂 π‘©π’Šπ’“π’•π’‰ 𝑨𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅
𝑆𝑑𝑒𝑝 1: πΊπ‘Žπ‘‘β„Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ 𝐸𝑣𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒
To acquire a child’s citizenship, gather birth evidence, U.S. citizenship, marriage, and physical presence. If unmarried, the father must sign an affidavit stating he is the child’s biological father and will financially support the child. Additional evidence may include divorce decrees or blood tests.
𝑆𝑑𝑒𝑝 2: πΆπ‘œπ‘›π‘‘π‘Žπ‘π‘‘ π‘Œπ‘œπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘π‘’π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘ π‘‘ π‘ˆ.𝑆. πΈπ‘šπ‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘ π‘¦ π‘œπ‘Ÿ πΆπ‘œπ‘›π‘ π‘’π‘™π‘Žπ‘‘π‘’
Parents or legal guardians should report their child’s birth at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
𝑆𝑑𝑒𝑝 3: π‘ƒπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘’ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π΄π‘π‘π‘™π‘–π‘π‘Žπ‘‘π‘–π‘œπ‘›
To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, contact your child’s U.S. embassy or consulate in the country of birth, with specific procedures depending on the embassy.
𝑆𝑑𝑒𝑝 4: 𝑅𝑒𝑐𝑒𝑖𝑣𝑒 π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ 𝐢𝑅𝐡𝐴
The U.S. embassy or consulate can issue the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) after approval by a consular officer, and parents can request multiple copies at any time.
Prompt documentation of a child meeting U.S. citizenship requirements at birth can hinder parent’s and children’s eligibility for U.S. citizenship rights and benefits, as U.S. citizens must use a passport.

𝑡𝒐𝒕 π‘¬π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’Šπ’ƒπ’π’† 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂 π‘ͺ𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒖𝒍𝒂𝒓 𝑹𝒆𝒑𝒐𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒇 π‘©π’Šπ’“π’•π’‰ 𝑨𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅
Children born in certain US territories during specific periods are not eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad as they are already American citizens or nationals. However, those born in Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Swains Island, The Panama Canal Zone, The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and The Philippines can establish U.S. citizenship or non-citizen nationality.

π‘Άπ’ƒπ’•π’‚π’Šπ’π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒇 𝒐𝒇 𝑼.𝑺. π‘ͺπ’Šπ’•π’Šπ’›π’†π’π’”π’‰π’Šπ’‘ 𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒏 18 𝒐𝒓 𝑢𝒍𝒅𝒆𝒓
Foreign-born individuals aged 18 or older with U.S. citizenship can’t apply for a CRBA, but can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship or a U.S. passport.

π‘Ήπ’†π’‘π’π’‚π’„π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒂 π‘ͺ𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒖𝒍𝒂𝒓 𝑹𝒆𝒑𝒐𝒓𝒕 𝒐𝒇 π‘©π’Šπ’“π’•π’‰ 𝑨𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅
The U.S. State Department discontinued the Certificate of Report of Birth in 2010, replacing it with Form FS-240. Only certain individuals can request a replacement, including those listed on the birth record, parents, authorized government agencies, or authorized individuals.
To request a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), you must submit the following items: A notarized Request Letter, Copy of the Requester’s Valid Photo ID, Payment

π‘ͺπ’†π’“π’•π’Šπ’‡π’Šπ’„π’‚π’•π’† 𝒐𝒇 π‘©π’Šπ’“π’•π’‰ 𝑨𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅
Before the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Americans born outside the US may have received a Certificate of Birth Abroad, a vital record issued by consular offices to prove identity to U.S. citizen parents.


    Pacific Immigration
    VAT: VS123456789
    CIF: BL1247890


    7707 West Lane Dr., #D 2 Stockton, CA 95210

    Get in Touch

    (209) 438-2222

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *